- School Events
- Church News
- International Baccalaureate
- Principal Cassidy's News & Notes
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
May 18th, 2017
What is it?
The ‘Battle’ is a collaborative reading competition for students entering 3rd- 8th grade. It is designed to enhance reading comprehension, provide opportunities for collaboration and encourage students to read quality literature.
How does it work?
Teams read books (over the summer) from a pre-selected list. The lists vary depending on grade level. In the fall, teams gather to compete. Our Competition includes rounds of written questions about the books and matching titles with authors. Most competition questions begin with the words, "In which book" Correct answers include the corresponding title.
Books on the reading lists have been carefully read by master educators, specializing in reading education. The books are selected for their
Last year, over 100 of our students participated!
How do we register?
Students form teams consisting of 1 or 2 members for the 3/4 competition or 1, 2 or 3 members for grades 5-8. There are three competition levels - studentsentering 3/4, entering 5/6 and entering 7/8.
Before registering, please, please, please, talk with your child about being a committed teammate. Every year I have students register and then change their mind. This leaves his/her teammates in an unfortunate situation.
Online registration starts May 27. (details to follow next week)
- Students read the books over the summer and in the early fall. All the books can be found at the Hennepin County Library.
- Participants should keep a ‘Battle Log’ with titles and notes
- In October, teams gather for or friendly competition to demonstrate their abilities and test their knowledge of the books they have read. The contest is during the school day and there are different competitions for different grade levels. Prizes are awarded for 1st place in the Battle at each competition level.
- Note: Battle reading can be applied to the fall Middle School reading contract for our rising 6th, 7th and 8th-grade students.
How do students become better readers?
We are proud to offer this fun, collaborative, engaging opportunity for Annunciation students. Warning: This event may include crazy, over the top, ice cream sundaes!
Questions: Contact Anne LaLonde Laux – firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne LaLonde Laux
International Baccalaureate (IB) Coordinator
Enrichment Teacher & Coordinator